grn bnnr

Intellidyne Guarantee

ECS and Intellidyne are so confident that the IntelliCon products offered will reduce your energy consumption by a minimum of 10% in the first year, or we will refund your entire purchase price if we are unable to attain these savings. Ask you sales rep for details.

Green Team Member

greenteam-home

ECS is an official partner with ConEd to maximize the incentives available for our products and services.

Simple Explanation

This page is designed to provide a relatively non-technical explanation of how the Intellicon for heating systems is able to achieve the savings of 10% to 30%. This explanation uses a Hydronic system to explain the functionality of the IntelliCon. For a steam boiler the concept is the same, however the system monitors the condensate return and the steam pressure.

Boiler Sizing:

boiler-size-diagram-smWhen an engineer designs a boiler for a building it is designed for worst case scenario. Every engineer may have slightly different criteria, but the result is the same, the boiler will be able to heat the building on the coldest days (worst case scenario). In the New York Metro area that is around 0ºF. This the right way to calculate the size, but the problem is that we only reach the worst case scenario temperatures 5% of the time, the other 95% of the time the boiler oversized.

In the diagram to the right we have shown that at 0ºF you need 100% of your boiler. As the temperature rises you need less and less of the total capacity of that boiler. So with a temperature of 25ºF you might need only 80% and at 40ºF you might need only 60% of the capacity of your boiler. This diagram is not specific to your boiler; the numbers used here are for this explanation.

Burner Operation:

In a standard hydronic (hot water) boiler, the boiler is set to work between high and low set points. For example: the high limit is 200ºF and the low is 180ºF. What this means is that when the temperature of the water in the boiler reaches 180ºF the burner turns on and will heat it until it reaches 200ºF and then the burner turns off. As long as the outside temperature is below 55ºF this is what happens, so your burner is going on and off all day long. It does not matter if it is 0ºF or 50ºF.

The building load is how much of the heat generated by the boiler, that the building is absorbing (using). The colder it is the higher the load. As water circulates throughout the building it cools off, the colder it is in the building the faster it cools. This change in temperature is referred to as the rate of change.  Once the temperature of that water reaches the 180ºF limit the burner turns back on and takes the water back to 200ºF. The faster the temperature of the water changes the higher the rate of change.

The IntelliCon Advantage:

The Intellicon constantly measures the temperature of the water in the system 3 times a second. It determines the rate of change. On colder days, when the rate of change is faster, the Intellicon does little if anything, it allows the boiler to function as designed. On the days where the rate of change is slower the Intellicon intercedes. When the water temperature reaches the 180ºF level, but it is 45ºF outside the boiler would normally fire, the Intellicon holds it off. It does this because with 180ºF water it has determined that you can heat the building adequately, without affecting the comfort level in the building. The Intellicon may hold off the burner until the water temperature (for example) reaches 172ºF. The Intellicon then allows the burner to turn on and take the water back to a 200ºF level. This is how we reduce the number of cycles of your boiler, yet the comfort level is not affected.

The diagram below illustrates the on and off cycles of a burner. The blue lines indicate the start ups of a burner prior to the Intellicon being installed; the Red is after the IntelliCon is installed. You can see the number of times the burner goes on and off is significantly reduced. When the burner initially fires it uses a significant amount of fuel in the first few minutes of firing. This can be as much as 20-30 gallons just to fire the boiler one time. Reducing the number of time it does this can significantly reduce the amount of fuel used. When the Intellicon allows the burner to fire it does so for a longer period of time. You can equate this to highway driving vs. city driving in a car.{mosimage}

 on-off diag